Monday, March 17, 2014

roots

I have a saying
words of wisdom
if you will
that I claim ownership of


an observation from
living
life
You cannot travel far from the
way you were 
raised

Oh
I know there are times
you  may want to break free of it
but 
in the end
somehow
you always 
return 
home.

Even where food is concerned.
Comfort foods.
The stuff that mom always
made



closely linked to one's
nationality

As a kid 
whenever I was asked this question
a sense of pride bubbled
as I recited

English, Irish, German, and Scottish.


And today
the Irish is coming out in me


along with green beer
and a bit of a brogue
my taste buds turn to
Jiggs dinners
Reuben sandwiches
and a pot of Irish Stew


with
potato biscuits
browning nicely


like the pot o' gold
at the end
of the rainbow


a special dish like this
is deserving of
a fancy
bowl

I can look at that bowl
and feel a wee bit of
departure from my roots
for
rather than beef there is
seitan and beans
a plant-based stew
made hearty and flavorful with
a good stout beer
which poured a plenty
in the days of ol'
back at the homestead

served alongside
corn on the cob?
that I couldn't pass up
when I spotted it at Costco
and 
for some strange reason
sounded like the perfect
accompaniment
to the stew
and then it hit me

the story of my birth

a hot August day
a day
that my mom
had her mom
making food to satisfy an
odd and unusual
craving 

Can you guess what it was?

Stew with Corn on the Cob
and no
I am not making this up!

The sad ending to this little tale...
mom went into labor
and was rushed to
the hospital
without
enjoying the wondrous meal
prepared for her.

But ah...
the story remains
it grows and transforms
and makes one wonder...
did the craving come from the 
mother
or the
babe?

This is the stuff
Irish folktale...
legends
are made of.

Happy St. Patrick's Day!

Now
go make some
mom food.

love ya
 mamai!
(that's Gaelic for mommy)
xo


No comments:

Post a Comment