Friday, July 4, 2014

this week in and around my kitchen

the precarious balancing
of work 
obligations
gardening
birthday celebrations
summer fun...
life.

one constant in all that
fullness...
growling stomachs.


I found this recipe
for eggplant rollini as I was
searching for information
on vegan weight gain
(to be discussed at a later date)
I stumbled onto
Better Than Vegan
and 
this dish
 with virtually
no fat
was the hearty outcome


here it is
topped with the tomato sauce

i won't lie to you
this was rather time consuming
with multiple stages
so I started the bath early


using the
clean-as-you-go
method 
to prevent messy build-up


the up side
it made enough for
about 3-4 meals

*love leftover lunches*

outdoors

still adding to my 
garden
as peas and lettuces
make room for
a new addition
parsley...
i'm thinking chimichurri sauce
on grilled pizza

*drooling just thinking about it*


how wonderful life is
when you can
cut your own lettuce
after a soft rain
and call it
dinner


with
a few enhancements
mango
field strawberries
avocado
pepitas
topped with a homemade
vinaigrette

know what else
makes me happy?

taking a gang out for
a birthday lunch

*Happy birthday, dear Joey!

and finding a menu
with offerings 
beyond
 a side salad
and
minestrone soup


that i can choose from...
thank you, Olga.

with a bare cupboard
and little time
or desire 
to go shopping
i looked at that bag of potatoes
and thought

Mediterranean potato salad
"thanks, Heather B"
from 30 Day Vegan


first time I tried it
and it was bumped
to the front of the book
as a go-to
delicious
almost like German potato salad
side
and you're right
it tastes even better the next day!
unfortunately
there was only enough for
me.
:)

Did I mention...
my sweet joe had a birthday?

Happy 19th year...
I'm gonna say it...
has it really been nineteen years?!
Damn that ticking clock.
ahhh
the bittersweet
side of parenting.
I think mom (grandma above) would agree!

One last thing...
Happy 4th of July!

Make some fireworks
and
Enjoy Life...
in all it's crazy busy-ness.


No comments:

Post a Comment