Thursday, June 26, 2014

this week in (and outside) my kitchen

Welcome!
Thanks for stopping by.

Now let's take a walk down memory lane.






Friday's dinner was a quick stir-fry utilizing some frozen veggies...and honestly, it was rather uninspiring. Definitely not picture worthy! The leftover jasmine rice has a different story. As I was packaging things up I had a flash from my past...rice cereal dessert.

This was something we did as children...not sure how it got started (feeding 7 on a budget...just guessing mom!) but it has been years since I've had a bowl of this simple delicacy.

The recipe is quite involved so grab a pen. Put rice in a bowl...sprinkle with sugar...pour on some milk and enjoy your bowlful of goodness. 

Memories started flooding in and I was transported (like that food critic in Ratatouille) to my childhood...with all my brothers and sisters...mom and dad sitting in their recliners...watching t.v.

Saturday morning found me picking oregano for drying (see hippie chick post below) then onto breakfast. Can you guess what I had?

Another bowl of memories.

Good to the last drop. 

Best enjoyed outdoors in the open air...with birds chirping...still in your pj's.

So much more than food...feeding us in so many ways.

Enjoy your day.
:)

1 comment:

  1. I confess, I still have this sometimes when I have leftover rice. And it's still good! (By the way, I think the Ratatouille scene pays homage to Proust's madeleine from "Du Cote de Chez Swan". Who knew that a degree in French could be so useful? bwa ha ha!)

    ReplyDelete