Saturday, August 23, 2014

hippie chick :: summer revival

Weeks..."I've Lost Count" :: Love the Skin You're In



We've heard the line
like a slogan for a cosmetic company
telling us now
after years of abuse
never to go outdoors
sans sunscreen
because
white is beautiful
pale is healthy

teaching a new generation
perhaps
since I recall 
those same cosmetic companies
donning
the California look
beach blondes 
tanned and freckled

beautiful
has transformed
as it always does
defined
by new standards

unfortunately
the skin I'm in
has seen teen years
filled with summers
that came with
burns and blisters
going from fuchsia to sun-kissed red

as a blue-eyed blonde
the quest for a tan was fruitless
and yet I tried


today
I wear sunscreen
most of the time
while applying
sunless tanning lotions
that smell funky
feel yucky
like a sticky earthworm
in an attempt to
 capture 
that
 "healthy glow"
that was ingrained in me

loving the skin I'm in
has been a
challenge
when I consider the
makeup
bronzers
blushes
that i have acquired
to get

the look.

a look that is still
perpetuated


despite
the few ads that are sprinkled in
warning of
skin cancer
sunspots
(or what I affectionately call
freckles)
wrinkles
basically damage due to sun
exposure

they persist
the ads...that is

rampant images


saying one thing
showing another

which is one of the reasons
I no longer 
subscribe or purchase
"women's mags"
that are loaded with
conflicting messages

love the skin you're in

treat it with kindness

today

be loving and gentle
to those
freckles
the character lines
that were garnered as you 
soaked-up a good dose of
vitamin D

Wow...
where did that come from?

All that soap-boxing
to introduce a
natural 
handmade 
lotion
that makes my skin feel...

beautiful

but, alas
it will have to wait
since this post 
is already excessively
long
and tedious.

Check back soon
for Part Two.

xo


No comments:

Post a Comment