Thursday, February 11, 2010

And The Winner Is...

Fluffy French Toast Are you asking yourself...what's this girl talking about? Well, I'm talkin French toast...my "retro" craving of late. Have you ever had those mysterious cravings for a particular food that you haven't eaten in years? You're really not sure what triggered the Pavlovian response...a memory...a conversation...a television commercial...but it's there and it refuses to go unaddressed!
That's my French toast story and I had to share it with you because when my family awoke to its cinnamony goodness they were all smiles and when they said, Wow, Mom...thanks... it was with genuine heartfelt emotion. I swear their loving expressions bore a new passion within me! I found the winning recipe at a great site that my sister-in-law Joann shared with me...Allrecipes.com. You've gotta check it out. Don't just take my word for it. With a 4 1/2 star rating...684 reviews...saved by 15,839 people...we can't all be wrong! What makes it different from every French toast recipe out there??? Flour...the secret ingredient. It makes all the difference. Now you could go to the site to get the recipe, but I will share it with you here as well.
Fluffy French Toast
1/4 c flour
1 c milk
a pinch of salt
3 eggs
1/2 t cinnamon
1 t vanilla extract
1 T sugar
12 thick slices of bread
Mix first 7 ingredients together with a whisk (stir periodically as needed). Heat your skillet...spray with Pam. Dip the bread (I used regular sliced...it's all I had on hand) and heat until golden brown. Top with banana slices (or your fave fruit) and syrup. Yummy!
This recipe freezes well between waxed paper...so you can pop it in the toaster and enjoy whenever the mood strikes you. Makes a great midnight snack!
One last cool thing about that site...allrecipes.com...if you need to change the number of servings, it will do the math for you and convert the recipe accordingly. Cool, huh?
What's your retro craving today?

No comments:

Post a Comment