Monday, April 26, 2010

A Mom's Meanderings

As women and mothers, we spend much of our time nurturing, training, worrying, and praying over our children. I've learned with this nearly two-generational family of boys that this is our greatest purpose and blessing. With two older boys raised, married, and forging their own way, I also have a unique appreciation of how brief our time together (in this capacity) truly is. Having that knowledge is precisely why I enjoy every moment spent with my eleven and fourteen year old. My youngest, James has been showing me in subtle and moving ways how he is maturing into quite a Godly young man. Recently, when I introduced him to our new youth leader at church, like reflex, James held out his hand, looked him directly in the eyes and said, "nice to meet you". I could tell by the look on Eric's face that he was surprised by this show of maturity from one so young...and it made my heart melt. Earlier in the month, as we were leaving the library, an older gentleman intentionally stopped me to say, "You've raised some really fine boys." Apparently, they held the door open for him. A polite gesture that in today's busyness doesn't happen as frequently as it should. Most recently, and the true impetus for this post...I was sitting on the couch with James, snuggled under our favorite blanket, watching television, when a commercial for Earth Day came on. Beautiful scenes of our planet...a fatherly voice-over said, "We as adults, need to remember that this planet isn't ours...pause, more pristine images...we are borrowing it...another lengthy pause...from our children". A thought sprang to my mind and just as quickly James put a voice to it. "What?! It doesn't belong to our children...it belongs to God."
Train a child in the way he should go,
and when he is old he will not turn
from it. (Proverbs 22:6)
And that's why we do what we do...me and motorcycle man. Being ever mindful of the fact that our words and actions are being carefully monitored and processed by our children. Teaching them right from wrong. Involving them in as many aspects of our life as possible...recycling and composting...budgeting and home economics...housework and yard work...helping out grandparents and others in need...working hard...playing hard...praying and praising the One who made this all possible. Our work here is not done...with God's continued help and guidance we will finish the race strong.
All Thanks and Praise to God!

No comments:

Post a Comment