Wednesday, March 26, 2014

alu gobhi

pronunciation key
ah-loo go-bee
etymology
Hindi

alternative spelling
aloo gobi
 a dry Indian dish
made with 
potato
cauliflower
spices

I heard all about it
while tuning in to
the Cooking Channel's
How to Live to 100

host



Jason Wrobel
who with goofy style and wit
had me craving cauliflower
for its flavor
 texture
and
health benefits

by chance
I stumbled onto this program
and quickly tried to write down
the recipes
let me tell ya
these are my kind of recipes
I was so excited!
admittedly slow on the uptake

turns out
this is a whole food
plant based program
although not labelled as such
it is...

trust me.

Way to go Cooking Channel!


There were so many 
great recipes
but since I had everything on hand
to make alu gobhi
aloo gobi it is
or
was
and here it is
for you

Alu Gobhi

Recipe courtesy of Bhojanic
Total Time:
1 hr 5 min
Prep:
30 min
|
Inactive Prep:
--
|
Cook:
35 min
Level:
Easy
Yield:
4 to 6 servings

INGREDIENTS

  • 3 to 4 tablespoons coconut oil (any oil with a high smoke point will do)
  • 1 tablespoon whole cumin seeds
  • 2 tablespoons tomato puree
  • 2 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into 2-inch pieces
  • 3 teaspoons salt
  • 1 medium head cauliflower, cut into 2-inch florets
  • 2 tablespoons ground ginger
  • 1 tablespoon ground coriander
  • 1 teaspoon turmeric
  • 2 to 4 pinches cayenne
  • 1 cup chopped fresh cilantro

DIRECTIONS

Heat the oil in a heavy-bottomed saucepan over medium-high heat. When hot, add the cumin. As soon as the seeds begin to pop, stir in the tomato puree and cook for 30 seconds. Stir in the potatoes and 1 1/2 teaspoons of the salt, reduce the heat to low and cook, covered, until the outer layer of the potato is cooked, 8 to 10 minutes. Add the cauliflower, ginger, coriander, turmeric, cayenne and the remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons salt and stir it all together without damaging the florets. Cover and cook until the cauliflower is tender, 15 to 20 minutes, adding 1/2 cup of the cilantro during the final minutes of cooking. Serve garnished with the remaining 1/2 cup cilantro.


I served it
right along side  
brown basmati rice

there was heat


tentative with the cayenne
at 2 teaspoons


I don't consider myself
a spice wimp
I boldly add jalapenos
to my sub sandwiches
but 
oh me
oh my oh
dis had my nose running


next time
I will enjoy it
at a 1 alarm temp...
1 teaspoon
maybe starting at 1/2 and building
from there.

Either way
this was worth sharing
and I hope you enjoy.

Check out your local listing
and check out
How to live to 100

as Martha says...
it's a good thing.
as Julia would say...
bon appetit!

Wishing Jason Wrobel much luck
for he has some
large
high heels 
to fill!

No comments:

Post a Comment