Monday, April 25, 2011

An Easter Story

I love lazy Saturdays...
the opportunity to fully embrace the sleep in.
So when I woke up bright and early on Saturday morning...
without the aid of an alarm clock,
I took it as a sign.
Telling me to join my church family in Downtown Toledo.
In The City For Good.
A group whose sole purpose it is to feed the poor.
300+ meals were prepared.
300+ meals were served.
How awesome is that?
Nothing like food to get the conversation flowing...
everyone coming to the table together...
sharing stories...telling jokes...
enjoying each others company.
As I was cleaning up,
a nice-looking black man shook my hand,
looked me in the eyes, and introduced himself.
He told me his name was Joseph.
"That's a good name," I said, "That's my son's name."
When I told him my name was Jenny, he smiled and said
that was his sister's name.
We made a real connection.
He thanked me personally for being there...
blessing me for helping.
When I wished him a Happy Easter, he paused
to ask me a question...
"How can you say Happy Easter in one word?"
There was a brief silence...
I started hearing the Jeopardy! theme song in my head.
I felt like I was being tested...
and time was running out.
Tick...tock...
tick...
tock.
Then it came to me...
"Alleluia?!"
I was sure of my answer, but it came out rather tentatively.

(i.e., like a white Lutheran woman)

A smile spread across Joseph's face...
"Hallelujah!" he boomed like only a black man can.
Saying it as it should be said...
with true conviction!

Praise the Lord!

Now it was my turn to smile because I knew
I had passed the test...I answered correctly.
Thank you Joseph, for sharing a moment with me.
Since Saturday, I've told this story...
well...a few (bizzillion) times.
I now call it my Alleluia Story.
Alleluia!
Said with gusto...conviction...and paper airplanes.
Sing it loud...for all to hear!
Jesus is Risen!
He is Risen Indeed!

No comments:

Post a Comment