Monday, March 8, 2010

Back For Seconds

I could keep this all to myself...or deceptively omit a vital ingredient...or take it to the grave. Can you believe I know women who've done that!? But it just wouldn't be fair to deprive you or your loved ones of this wonderfully easy...delicious...back for seconds/thirds...Vegetarian Tortilla Soup. The originator claims that those who covet the recipe have offered up their first born.
My family is as thrilled as I am with allrecipes.com. I haven't repeated a meal since I got hooked. This recipe proves it doesn't have to be a long complicated process to attain perfection. I did make quite a few alterations based on reviews...so this is my version of contributor "DSYLVAN" 's original. I think that's one of the reasons this soup is so fantastic...it is very adaptable to what you have on hand in your kitchen. Once again...I found all the ingredients at Aldis's which means it was not only tasty but inexpensive to boot!
Vegetarian Tortilla Soup
In a large soup pot combine:
2 T olive oil
1 large onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves chopped
1 red pepper chopped
1 orange pepper chopped
1 1/2 T Cumin
Saute on medium heat for 5 minutes then add:
2 (14.5oz) cans of Diced Tomatoes and Green Chilies
56 oz. chicken broth (1 1/2 cartons of Fit and Active)
Salt and pepper to taste
Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer for 30 minutes. In the last 5 minutes add:
1 can corn, drained
1 can black beans, drained
Serve in bowl then squeeze juice of a lime wedge over
Top with chopped fresh avocado
Sprinkle with Cheddar Cheese
Serve with Blue Corn Tortilla Chips
I won't lie to you there is a little heat to this soup, but it isn't too spicy...my kids had seconds as well. Fresh veggie flavor...yummy...but it is the lime / avocado topping that gives it a real kick above others I have tried!
Serve with a margarita for a real Mexican fiesta!

No comments:

Post a Comment