Monday, March 22, 2010

The Last Meal

Me and my motorcycle man decided to follow The South Beach Diet again. We were on the plan a few years back and I believe in addition to losing a few pounds it taught us sound principles on eating right. I don't have a big weight problem, BUT I have noticed how my midsection feels thicker than it used to. Allrecipes.com may have caught up with me...at least the desserts did! Phase One of the plan is like a detox...getting those sugar cravings back in check. Although it is the strictest phase, I never felt hungry. NEVER. During this two-week phase you are restricted on what you can and can't eat. I hate to focus on the negative, but here goes...
No breads, rice or pasta.
No fruits.
No cookies, candies, cakes, ice cream...no sugar.
No potatoes.
Here's the toughie...No Alcohol (not even red wine...whine).
What not to do on the night before embarking on this undertaking? Watch the movie Julie and Julia.
Notice that glass of wine? You better believe it.
Now don't misunderstand...I highly recommend the movie. It truly piqued my interest in Julia Child...Meryl Streep was fantastic! I kept forgetting I wasn't watching the real Julia. Unfortunately, as you might expect, the plot centers on her many delicious recipes and the processes involved in making them are absolutely intriguing. I don't want to leave the impression that food is the enemy. I love food...in every way, shape, and form! However, as with anything else, it's all about balance...darn it. So, what does a person on the brink of this adventure have for their last meal? If that person is me? Pizza (GASP!).

I needed to stock up on those carbs to be fully prepared. This pizza is a family favorite and not so bad...all things considered. It was homemade with a whole wheat thin crust. An acceptable meal in a later phase of the diet. A recipe that I want to share with all of you who are still enjoying carbs.

Dust off your bread machine.

2lb. Pizza Dough (for 2 pizzas)

1-2/3 cup warm water

2 Tbl. olive oil

2 tsp. salt

2 cups all purpose flour

2-1/4 cups whole wheat flour

2 tsp. sugar

2 tsp. yeast

Put all the ingredients in the machine in the order listed...making a little tunnel in the flour for the yeast. Set on "Dough Only or Pizza" feature of your machine. When done, split in half and roll out on Pam sprayed cookie sheets. Top with pizza sauce (I like Ragu home style), cheese, and your favorite toppings. Bake in a 400 degree oven for 18 minutes. Get ready to eat the best pizza in town. Guaranteed.

Check back tomorrow for the update on how day one went AND for full disclose of my starting weight and desired weight. How's that for brave?

No comments:

Post a Comment