Thursday, March 1, 2012

real home

no facebook.
no twitter.
e-mail? yes.
but even there i've discovered
a strange phenomena.
 

not sure what to actually call it.
surreal.
artificial.
fake.

i'm not trying to be harsh
i know there are perfectly good
reasons to
have said accounts.
to keep in touch with faraway friends
and relatives...daily
because the actual writing of a letter
is so very time consuming
a phone call?
please!
too personal.



writing or calling
make it very difficult
to leave the
innocuous comment
without explaining yourself.
you know...
odd little one-liners
that leave the reader wondering
if something is wrong...
good...
unfortunate.

all the questions and
attention
that follow
somehow re-assure the
originator...
they have "friends"


it is a technique that has been
in my opinion
abused
almost feels like high school
all over again

give me real any day
someone to look me in the eye
hold my hand when i really need it
give me a hug
have a drink with
laugh and hear their laugh come back
you know...
real.


like having my stuff
around me
they make me feel
right at home
genuine
tangible
like my
comfy couch.


if i'm sad or happy or
somewhere in-between
they know it
because they really know
me
now there's comfort.


quick texting
may have its place...

on my way
help i'm stuck
kinda thing

but
i love you
is best served with
a hug and a kiss.


real can be scary
to open up and be yourself
they might not like that person

rejection
feeling like a misfit
getting picked last for the team

nobody wants to be one of
them


all i need is my guitar
my second-hand
beat up
a little bit hole-y
chair
my husband
mom
kids
sister
friend
they are real
present

honesty

i am a misfit
i am the occasional
outcast
often times i feel
left out
i am usually part of the out-crowd


on those rare moments in my life
that i have been briefly
welcomed
into the
in crowd
i get a bit itchy

Jesus made a habit out of
hangin with the likes of me
so i am ok with it

that is honest to goodness
true blue
shoulder to lean on
place of refuge
real
kind of
 comfort



5 comments:

  1. Be careful not to anthropomorphize your stuff. If there's one thing my transient life has taught me, it's that stuff does not bring us comfort. It can be here today, a tornado can take it away tomorrow, and then what are you left with? Remember that the Son of Man had nowhere to even lay his head. Real comfort comes from Him, the homeless man. And maybe from a sister or two or three. But that's best discussed face to face over a latte. :)
    love,
    rosebud

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such big words...my head hurts. LOL. Apparently you missed the very point...or purhaps I didn't express myself well. Maybe a re-read or re-write is in order. That latte sounds good though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, but you expressed yourself most perfectly!! I even shared this post by link on my facebook page last evening. You expressed my heart exactly and with a sigh I say a kind Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. No, Peggy...thank you. It is so nice to be heard and understood. Thank you for stopping by and for sharing with others...this has been a concern of mine for some time now and I felt truly compelled to openly discuss it. Have a lovely, fulfilling weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Okay, I think it was ambiguous who the "they" was referring to. As long as you meant people and not things, then I get it. Does this mean you're ready to disable the "hey hey" feature on your cell phone? :)
    rosebud

    ReplyDelete