Monday, June 6, 2011

Back Asswards

Last Summer
in lieu of a vacation
we decided to get an above ground pool...
which in and of itself is rather funny
since we aren't annual travellers to begin with.
We had the perfect spot for it...
right in our backyard
off the deck.
Installed...filled...solar covered...waited for warmth.
I don't know if you're aware
but apparently in order for a solar cover
to work properly
it requires sun.
Our backyard is primarily shaded.
The pool never got over 75 degrees...one word...
brrrrrr.
It hurt to do it.
I tried to get up, shower, and go to church...
before I had to witness it.
But they arrived early!
Some may think I'm weird
(others know it for a fact)
but to think I was destroying a critters habitat...
well...suffice it to say I didn't get much sleep the night before...
just thinking about it.
The tree stump you see on the left
came from a silver maple
that we were told needed to come down
before it dropped on our house.
Unfortunately, it was one of the anchors for our
hammock and zip-line.
We left it at about 8 feet so it could still do its job.
When I noticed one of the workers
and his young son
digging through the innards
of the gutted tree
I came down to see what they had found.
Bait.
Jeremiah told me he was going
fishing at his uncles and he thought these
would help him catch the big one!
Best of luck to you, Jeremiah.
Later, Rudy called me outside
because Joey had something to show me.
Joe likes all things dangerous.
Height means nothing to him...never has...
which freaks a mom out!
I told him he should go to tree trimming school.
We were told to cap-off that stump to prevent rotting.
Rudy is going to build a big bird hotel...
the least we can do since we destroyed many homes
in our quest for sun.
We...well, Rudy and the boys
(I needed to go to church...badly)
took care of the clean-up and saved a couple hundred
bucks by doing so.
They are going to split that pile
and sell it roadside
as campfire wood.
With grounds just north of us
they might make a few dollars.
I'm thinking they should go into the bait selling business, too!

Well...
We wanted it
and now we've got it!
A sunny backyard oasis.
With a pool that is up to 74 degrees.
I'm positive that one of my newest projects
will involve creating a shading system
for the deck.
Kids swimming... for me...
toe dipping temperatures.
What a relief...
when I woke this morning I opened the window to birds chirping a little forgiveness song.
Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment