Tuesday, April 16, 2013

family dinner night

Like a party on a Wednesday
or in this case
Monday.
A suggestion
from my oldest son
Jacob
who is usually out-of-town
on the weekends
visiting his fiance who lives
two hours north.
After a year of this pace
he started wanting 
get-togethers
for days other than
holidays
and thought a weekly meal would be
 the ticket.

The idea being
 we all pitch in.
Nothing too fancy.
Regular.
Good.
Food.
But last night I took over the
reigns and made the whole
shebang.

In my attempt to remain
plant-based in this
world of
meAT EATERS
that I have raised
I made 
a pot of
Black Bean and Quinoa Chili
and I made it thick
to be served over
baked potatoes.
(old pics mom came across that we laughed over)

It got pretty hectic
once the girls arrived so I don't have
a picture of the spread I created 
for the
chili baked potato bar.

Toppings included:
daiya cheese
tofutti sour cream
(and their all dairy counter-parts)
fresh chopped cilantro
salsa
sriracha hot chili sauce
diced avocado

Good stuff
and a real hit with the gang.

Little by little
meal by meal
showing them the way.

About 1 hour before their arrival
I thought...
dessert.
I hadn't planned a thing
but wanted a sweet to offer.
Headed over to see what
Isa Chandra at
Post Punk Kitchen
was up to
and my search was over.
Butterscotch Cupcakes with Coconut Bacon.
I had everything
except
the butterscotch and
coconut bacon.
No worry
she includes a vanilla variety.

In my opinion
the star of the show.
Plopped a tray of cooled cupcakes
on the table
as a centerpiece
along with
little saucers
and then 
we passed around the frosting.
spoons 
OVER
knives!

I was surprised I had enough frosting
for the cupcakes
after all my earlier taste testing.
Creamy.
Sugary.
Vegan.
Heaven.

I would break-off a piece of cake
and top it with
frosting
so that each bite was 
like a perfect little
delicacy.
Have I made you hungry for 
cupcakes?
Well head on over to PPK
(see my sidebar for directions)
and whip up a batch.

This little fellow is the lone
survivor.
Mom wasn't able to be here
because of her
busy social life...
aka bunco.
I could save it for its rightful owner
but it beckons me to 
come...
eat.

Life is Good.

No comments:

Post a Comment