Thursday, May 31, 2012

behind the scene


Remember the day I was
dipping my toes in?

Well...
I glanced at the corner
of my yard across
from me...

the unsightly
neglected
ugly...

(I really hate it)

corner of my lot

when something shifted inside of me.


I saw the beauty that
 I never recognized before.

Functional Beauty.

Real Living kind of stuff.


Fire pit for yard debris...
storage for extension ladders...
lots of weeds...
compost pile...
wheelbarrow hangout...
rakes leaning
against the shed...
and a whole lotta dirt.

With all those strikes against it
I finally understood
why kids gravitate to this
corner of my yard.



It's not organized...
maybe a little dangerous.

A spot where one can
be a little wild and
unpredictable.
There are no cute flower beds
to distract
from the camp-out feel of this locale.


A tree house to explore!
Not painted in a pretty palette
or cleaned in years...
we're talking
about places where
good stories are made.

Probably of the ghost variety.


Rustic...
natural...
gonna get dirty
kind of
real.

Like the milkweed growing
like crazy in my
front garden.

Sure I could pull it out
spray weed killers...
show that pest who's boss...
and control..
CONTROL
my little acre.

And if I did that...


Where would the Monarch
lay its egg?

In its cycle of life it needs
the precious, ugly
milkweed to
survive.


Life can be messy sometimes...
correction...

most times.


If we focus on the chaos
we will miss the beauty
it holds.

Even the potential
 beauty.

Picture perfect.
Blog worthy.

Pretty and breathtaking
are so overdone
that we forget to notice
the
real stuff.

After all...
that ugly caterpillar
must eat and eat and get uglier
and fatter
(come on...you've all read Eric Carle)

before

becoming
the beautiful butterfly.

Today...
celebrate the ugly parts
of
real living.


No comments:

Post a Comment