Tuesday, May 15, 2012

recent discovery

I plotted and planned...


filled my mind
with images of fragrant
herb gardens...


with marigold borders
and floral surprises...


and fresh produce
at my finger tips.


First I must
prepare the soil.

Weed...till...enhance
that soil.


Busy work.
Buggy work.
Sweaty-dirt-under-your-fingernails
work.

It was here that I made
my discovery.

I really don't enjoy
gardening.

There I said it.

A sense of release
mixed in with
a good dose of
German guilt
reside
inside
me.

There are quite possibly
100 things
I'd rather do than
garden.

However,
I do enjoy the "fruits" of my
labor...
there just has to be a better
way...

for me.



Container gardening
has to be the
closest thing to my better way
of doing this
homesteading thing.


Like this little
herb garden.

Do you really need more
oregano than
that?

I know I don't...
and yet I have a plot
growing out front
that threatens to take over
my yard.

It grows unused all year.
I can't be the only
"gardener"
who is guilty of this crime.


Perfect little containers.

All that is required is
a daily sprinkle...
the pulling of the occasional-hardly-ever weed...
snip as needed for dinner.

Truly use what you sow.


And so...
a mother's day gift.
An empty pot full of possibility.

A cilantro, basil, chives container?
Possibly.
Those are the only herbs
I tend to use.

That beautiful scroll design
and old patina
are begging to be used to hold an
ivy topiary.

Beauty or function?

Three tomato plants or twenty?

Zucchini for a family of four
or zucchini for the neighborhood?

Today...
instead of wallowing in
confessional guilt...
I will celebrate...
the never-ending-journey
of knowing oneself
better.

What discoveries are you making
in your garden?

No comments:

Post a Comment