Wednesday, March 16, 2011

As The Family Grows :: On The Table

There's a joke among homeschoolers... What's on your dining room table? The answer can range from artwork to dissections to board games. Confession... As a homeschool mom, I am often confronted with feelings of self doubt and inadequacy. I usually call my sister-support system, aka Sue, who puts my mind at ease with words like... your kids are great...they're getting that one-on-one time...just breathe! Unfortunately, these feelings crept in the other night. A night, after a day, where I felt little was accomplished. Ah, that never ending list. I had been feeling like we were in a rut... and longed to take a new and fresh approach... maybe the un-schooled approach... interest led learning. Then I looked at the table that was right in front of my face.
It was so loaded down that I could have made an I spy game out of it! I was just about to holler at James since 90% of this belonged to him...I paused and took another look. Even though my list had few items checked-off, interests were being explored. Drawing.
Following step-by-step instructions.
Playing Bananagrams...using the dictionary for spell check...
Fine tuning those magic tricks to impress friends and family... The Mystery of History (a subject we enjoy daily)... duct tape...scissors...a cardboard box project...
James had a plan that he was determined to bring to fruition. Another confession... my boys are boys and they enjoy air-soft guns. Top Shot is a family favorite. BUT... purchasing the pellets is on their budget. Therefore, James wanted a way to retrieve them to cut down on expenses. He got creative!
Now target practice isn't a waste of bullets... and yes, we have a strict no shooting in the house rule... but even I wanted to see how it worked. Notice the accuracy.
Don't notice the Corona pj's...long story... the short...dad hand-me-downs...plus they're loose and comfy. Footnote here: The time...around noon. That rumor about homeschoolers staying in their pajamas all day... it's true...for us anyway. Back to the project... it was a success!
He perfected the design by putting a small hole in the corner and funneling the bullets into the thing-a-ma-jig. Mom obviously doesn't play. But my boys sure did! Moving the fun to the (messy) basement.
Target Shooting Range. Homeschool Style! Hey Moms...you're doing fine...your kids are great... just breathe!
Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

  1. So tell me...am I right? The boys are great. They're doing fantastic! Plus, James project would NOT be allowed as an in-school wood shop project. I think his ingenuity is awesome! (You know that necessity is the mother of invention.) -This coming from a mom who sent her children to ...gasp...public school. So, I repeat...Breathe, they're great. They get that trait from their mom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so very sweet to me. Today was a good day...but you know how this works...tomorrow may bring doubt and uncertainty. Thanks for always being there to listen to me and offer suggestions. Love you.

    P.S. Those public schooled kids turned out pretty darn good...they got a lot of homeschooling too. After all, aren't we all homeschooled to some degree?

    ReplyDelete
  3. A few thoughts about this post:
    1.) I'm pretty sure that's your coffee table and not your dining table.
    2.) The first thing I saw in that photo were James amazing drawings! Great job, James!
    3.) You must really want a new television! It looked like you were inches away from shooting it!
    4.)Time for y'all to get out in the public and leave the "People of Walmart" wardrobe for the bedroom only! :)
    5.) Miss you!
    love,
    mary

    ReplyDelete
  4. You've got a good eye sister! The "joke" always centers on the dining room table...I've always pointed out that our landing strip is the coffee table. It's roomy and the comfy upholstered furniture wins out every time. We're such rebels. James says thank-you and he has a (late) birthday surprise for you. He was hoping to give it to you over the weekend...boo-hoo. Naw...I'm a die hard with that tv...if it aint broken we ain't gonna replace it! I just trust his aim...did you see that bulls-eye!? And rest assured those pj's are in house only. He actually wanted to take them on the Youth Quake...I drew the line. I'm such a mean mom...LOL...miss you too...hurry home! Lots of love to all.

    ReplyDelete