Friday, March 18, 2011

Calendars & Coffee

Here's a corner of my kitchen.

My mom got me that mug tree from an antique store in

Noblesville for Christmas. I had been looking for one

all summer...who knew how hard they were to acquire?

I loved that red so much I had my hubby spray paint my calendar

frame that same brick red.

About that calendar...

I've gotta know if anyone else does this.

Whenever I get my new calendar (at January's half-off)

I find that although I like most of the monthly pictures...

it is usually only one that "speaks to me" and I wish I could

leave it up all year.

That would be March's in this case.

It isn't the sentiment, "Keep Good Company...Share Your Stories"...

For me...it's all about the Bialetti...

And memories of Italy.
Where I was so very fortunate to go
to visit my Jacob who was stationed there for 3 years...nice gig.
I won't ramble on about the beautiful scenery...the beautiful people...
the beautiful everything.
I will say that while I was there, I broke the pop habit.
Water, wine and coffee were always on tap.
Each of which tasted better there somehow.
I'm sure it had nothing to do with my surroundings.
Thus began my love for real coffee...
the dark roasts.
I've jumped around with coffee makers quite a bit lately.
Right now I'm back to hanging-out with my automatic drip.
Likewise, I've dated a few different coffee brands.
I like Starbucks, but even their bags of brew are pricey.
I decided to brave it out and try an Aldis brand.
I must say...I was pleasantly surprised.
The price is right at $2.50.
The flavor is good.
A smooth House Blend.
I can make some extra special coffees with that little frothing
toy that Rudy got for me...
another half-off item. Thanks, babe!
I warm the milk in my mug for 30 seconds and then the
frothing fun begins!
It works best with skim milk...
creating a thick whipped topper
...that holds up to the chocolate syrup
swirled on top.
This would be my afternoon treat of late.
Maybe you can help me with something...
I've been noticing that I've put on a few pounds.
Any idea why?
I'll have a cup of joe while I mull it over.
Won't you join me?
Posted by Picasa

7 comments:

  1. I am sipping a cup of Cafe Mocha while reading this- my jeans are snug............ xo- had a great time last night. Tina

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tell me about it...I've switched to sweats. If you gained an ounce I'm not seeing...I was looking at you last night and like Rudy said in my dream you're looking so slim and young! I'll go scrub a toilet now! Ha-ha. Have a great time in Florida...I'll miss you. I had fun too...always lots of laughs. Hey, were the shades closed when you got home? I was expecting an update.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aldi coffee?! Glad to hear it's good. I am addicted to Dunkin Donuts ground coffee but with the rising cost, I really need a more budget friendly brew. And a frother? Your coffee guests are in for a treat! By the way, where do you find calendar frames? I've seen them in homes but never stores...how does that happen? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is a quandary isn't it?! I've had my frame for years and I purchased it at a Hallmark store...by the way, that's where my hubbie found that frother on a half-off rack. I'm sure they sell them wherever the Lang-type calendars are sold...don't they? On-line for sure. I'm going to keep my eye out for you. Thanks for visiting and stop over for a coffee anytime. Let me know what you think about the Aldis brand. I really think it's good. Enjoy your day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Excellent find! So do they carry my mainstay of the day -Espresso? I've got to become more familiar with Aldis.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You didn't happen to pick up another frother for your sister, did you? Remember me? The one who watched your children while you were drinking your way through Italy? lol You'll have to whip me up a latte the next time I'm in town!
    love,
    mary rose

    ReplyDelete
  7. So Sue...the next time I go to Aldis, we'll make a field trip out of it. Count on me...I'll show you the lay of the land.

    As for Mary Rose...of course I remember how you got stuck watchin' the boys...ha-ha. As I recall, you had a birthday this past month...hmmm. I was thinking we would be having a sisters dinner when you were supposed to come in town BUT didn't (boo-hoo)...hmmm...so you liked that frother did you? Hmmm...who would have guessed?! Hmmm...did I leave enough hints. Love you too!

    ReplyDelete