Thursday, March 3, 2011

As The Family Grows :: Home Ec

For some time now I have been carrying around a blog peeve.
Every where you surf you find young families...
babies, toddlers, elementary-aged cuties.
Oh, and they are so adorable.
There is something sweet and compelling about those chubby
cheeks and dimpled fingers.
Guess what?
They grow up and they still hold their charms.
I am writing to parents with tweens and teens...
grown adults and grand children!
Time flies.
In a blink the children
grow.
Take it from one who knows...
a mother of four boys.
Correction:
Two men, Jacob 28 and Joshua 24,
and two in-betweens;
Joseph 15 and James 12.
Lets not forget my daughter-in-law, sweet Sara (Josh's wife)
and their two girls;
my grand-daughters, Kierstin almost 2 and Kaylee 4 months.
So I am starting a new feature:
As The Family Grows...
and so it goes!
What happened in my home this morning?
Homeschool Home Ec
Joey (the 15 year old) is good at many things...
but he is what I call a reluctant chef.
We have raised all our boys to be self reliant...
especially in the kitchen.
Joey is always happy to have James do the cooking for him.
Well, because James loves to cook and eat.
Sorry...not an option.
So when we woke to a frig with no milk, James said,
"Let's have pancakes!"
To which Joey said, "Great idea, go make 'em."
I won't get into the bickering which ensued, but suffice it to say,
I put Joey on the job...and he was
resplendent!
Don't look at the messy kitchen, that's part of the lesson...
clean-up!
Here he is flipping like a pro and complaining about having his picture taken so early in the a.m.
Sorry Joe, and I am blogging for the whole world to see!
(I did get his permission.)
He was the star of the show...
well, the pancakes ran a close second.
But the topper...
Absolute Best Pancake Syrup
the recipe can be found at allrecipes.com.
Believe me, you're gonna LOVE it.
I put the leftovers in this Ball canning jar so that
we can warm it and pour it over the pancakes
for a creamy, cinnamony, decadent treat.
Those syrups in the background don't stand a chance.
Plus, they are loaded with...
dare I say it...
high fructose you know what!
I hope you enjoyed your morning as much as we did.
Enjoy that growing family.
Oh, what a blessing!
Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

  1. On behalf of those of us with grown and continuing-to-grow families, let me say...it's about time. We've needed a blog from someone who's children are older. Thanks x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I knew you would get it...because you get me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So I had to try the syrup. Yum. It is delicious. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Extra special on Cinnamon Griddle Cakes...another all recipes favorite! So yummy.

    ReplyDelete