Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Green Gift Wrap

An Easy Pillowcase Transformation
My sister Sue told me about her desire to
imitate Soule Mama over the holidays.
Soule Mama had made reusable gift bags from holiday fabrics
in an attempt to "go green" by reducing the amount
of paper waste.
After giving it some thought, I decided to surprise
Sue on her birthday and make her a couple
bags to get her started for next year.
It seemed like a no brainer to use pillowcases
since half the sewing would already be done for me.
First stop...Savers
where I found 2 pillowcases (99 cents) in complementary colors.
Next...to the sewing room
where I cut 4 inches from the length and top of each case.
If you are following me, that leaves only one side
to resew and the end to re-hem.
For the bow...
I cut the extra 4 inches of length in half lengthwise
folded it in half with right sides together...and inverted.
(I use the string technique to invert)
Iron flat and crisp, giving the ends an angled fold like that of a bow.
Sew the bow to center back of the now gift wrap bag.
Insert the gift box.
I used standard shirt boxes and sized accordingly.
Tie it closed with the attached bow...
and voila!

Here is the side and bottom view showing the boxed corners I gave them as well.

I hope you were able to follow this mini tutorial.

If you have any questions please leave them in the comments and I will get back to you.

I chose cases in birthday colors.

Later it occurred to me that using red pillowcases might have been the wiser chioce.

My mom always says that red works for holidays and birthdays.

Mom is always right!

Posted by Picasa

6 comments:

  1. Another after thought: Make it REALLY easy and use the pillowcases as is and tie with ribbon. Sure it's not going to have that tailored look but it can still then be used as a pillowcase. Duh!

    ReplyDelete
  2. GENIUS! I knew you would come up with a clever idea for a pillowcase. TFS

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love my gift bags, and I love my sister. Thanks Jenny for so getting me, even when no one else does :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so happy that you're happy. Happy Birthday just a little late! ha-ha

    Did you see that above comment? LorieR thinks me a genius. Obviously you haven't watched me stumble through Jeopardy! Thanks for your nice comment. I am working on a couple of other pillowcase ideas that I hope to share soon. Have you had any thoughts for yours? You got my gears going.

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are too cute! No, I like he permanent bow. These are too sweet to lay a head on!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Me thinks (a little Shakespeare-ish) LoriR is right.

    ReplyDelete