Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Constant Cravings

The Man...
Sawyer Alexander.
Consider yourself forewarned...
"Staring at an Alexander man too long is like staring
at the sun. The image becomes imprinted. You can
close your eyes
and still see him."
I just love that line by
Sarah Addison Allen
in my newest summer indulgence...
Even more intriguing is what Sawyer
has to say of himself...
"I'd have cake all the time if I could...
You know how some people have a sweet tooth?
Well, I have a sweet sense.
When I was a little boy, I could be playing
across town and know exactly when my mother took
a cake out of the oven. I could see the scent,
how it floated in the air.
All I had to do was follow it home."
I have much in common with Sawyer.
The sense of smell is ridiculously acute.
It is said that the sense of smell is the strongest
in rekindling memories...
or in some cases cravings.
A quick family foible.
My niece, Ruthie (sorry, had to call you out...
love ya), had a Stampin' Up party
at her house a few years back.
The smell of chocolate brownies filled the air...
unfortunately, she didn't have anything chocolate
to serve the guests...her snacks were of the salty variety.
Now, I love salty too, but when brownies are
surrounding you, a brownie you must have! "Oh," she exclaimed to her perplexed guests,
"you must be smelling the candle I'm burning."
All I remember is going home and searching the
cupboards for something
chocolate.
With Sawyer's revelation...
Julia Winterson bakes up hope
in the form of cakes.
Butter Pecan Cake, Milky Way Cake,
Apple Stack Cake,
and Hummingbird Cake.
Cakes, cakes, and more cakes!
I gotta get me some cake!
So, while at Target, I found myself
not only venturing down the baking aisle,
but searching on-line with my new Smarter Than Me Phone,
for a Berry Poke Cake recipe.
Mom had just told me how
sweet Donna Lennex had made one for a funeral dinner
and it was so refreshing in this heat.
SOLD!
This recipe can be found in nearly
every down-home cookbook ever made.
As old as the hills...yet I have never tried it.

I'm feelin' the need...
the need for sweet.

Bake up that cake as per package instructions.
Once cooled,
have a little fun poking it with the end of
a wooden spoon.
Prepare the jell-o as directed...
1 Cup boiling water
1/2 cup cold water
Pour over the cake and refrigerate for 2 hours.
Some top with Cool Whip and berries...
I topped with vanilla frosting
and Redi-Whip.
Store in the frig.
I've said it before and I will say it again,
Mom is always right...
cool and refreshing.
I may not know what I'm having for dinner,

but cakes are on tap for dessert.

Stay cool my friends.

2 comments:

  1. I LOVED that book! Just read it last month. Are we sisters, or what? And yes, it made me very hungry for cake! Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We'd be sisters even if we weren't sisters! Love you too!

    ReplyDelete